Thursday, March 24, 2005

The Twinkie Defense

So I decided that I needed my own blog, yes I jumped on the bandwagon, despite all the times my mother told me it would never get me anywhere. I'm sure she's right. This blog is going to end any hopes I had of being productive. On the other hand, now I can say all the stuff that is floating about in my head that is normally too rude to say aloud.

Originally it was going to be called "The Twinkie Defense" after I found out that such a thing really did exist.

Twinkie defense:
n. a claim by a criminal defendant that at the time of the crime he/she was of diminished mental capacity due to intake of too much sugar, as from eating "Twinkies," sugar-rich snacks. The defense was argued successfully by a defense psychiatrist in the notorious case of former San Francisco County Supervisor Dan White, who shot and killed San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and County Supervisor Harvey Milk, resulting in White's conviction for only manslaughter instead of murder.


Then I remembered that I don't like Twinkies, so I thought about making it The Starbucks Defense, which would probably get me sued for unauthorized use of the Starbucks name. So on the suggestion of a brillant friend I settled on Turpis Causa.

You don't know what that means you say? Well, dig out your Black's Law Dictionary and look it up, I'm not doing all the work for you!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Google!

"TURPIS CAUSA - A base or vile consideration, forbidden by law, which makes the contract void; as a contract, the consideration of which is the future illegal cohabitation of the obligee with the obligor."

By the way, I made it to the bottom of your Web page, and I want to sue. Will you be my lawyer? What is your retainer?

8:26 AM  
Blogger Daughter of Shylock said...

I will be your lawyer, give me a year or two... but by that time your statute of limitations might run out on your prize claim, you better act fast and call Johnnie Cochran!

BTW, thanx for informing everyone of the mystic meaning of turpis causa...

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home