Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Where have I been, you ask? Why no witty posts and/or rambling discourses on the sad state of society? So many reasons come to mind, but none of them are even slightly amusing thus I won’t bore you with them. Needless to say the last three weeks have been trying, exhausting, stressful and only about 5% fun. But it is now November, I am officially writing off the month of October. So with the first day of November comes the first day of the rest of my life (and a promise that that is the last cliché in this post.)

Here follows a few random thoughts to catch you up on where my mind has been wandering lately:

1. Dear Cute Guy from Chloe:
You have my number, it’s only 10 digits long. Please dial. I promise I don’t bite.


2. Dear Family:
Why am I the only responsible one? At the risk of sounding self-centered, I am a very busy and very poor law student. I don’t have time to keep up with my current work much less take a week off and spend way too much money on a plane ticket to go home and take care of my mother. Dear Sister: you live at home, for free, how about chipping in once in awhile? Dear Aunts: you’re all retired and take a vacation about once a month, would it kill you to make a stop in Buffalo to check on your sister?


3. Dear Independence Air:
Despite the fact that you screwed me on my last plane ticket, I appreciate your effort to have a sale for December holiday travel. I have one little request though: please start serving coffee again or get rid of Richard Lewis on your safety talk. One or the other, I won’t be too demanding.

4. Dear Law School:
WTF with the schedule for next semester? I am paying too much money to this school to be forced to take 4 night classes to get enough credits to be full-time. Where can I lodge a complaint?

5. Dear Major League Baseball:
THANK YOU FOR THE END OF THE SEASON. I can finally get back to my fall TV schedule without dealing with repeats or cancellations because of some stupid event called the World Series.

6. Dear Harriet Miers:
Thank you for saving the status of the Supreme Court. Your graceful withdrawal has prevented the Supreme Court from becoming a laughingstock and saved you from countless years of late night humor.

7. Dear President Bush:
Are you kidding me? Do you really think you have the political clout to pull off Alito? C’mon, let’s refresh our memories: Libby got indicted; 2,000+ soldiers are now dead in Iraq; your first nomination to replace Sandy O’Connor was a joke; Alito is not a woman, nor a racial minority, stop insulting us; you haven’t held a coherent unstaged press conference in about 6 years; you recently, and rather hypocritically, urged Americans to conserve. I hope the Democrats filibuster Alito’s nomination. You deserve it. More importantly, O’Connor deserves a respectable nominee that isn’t an insult to her legacy. The faster you can come up with a reasonable nominee, the faster she can get back to taking care of her husband. Don’t you think you owe her an honest effort at nominating someone that can be confirmed? Tell Karl Rove to stick it and do the right thing.

I should probably get back to paying attention in Patent Law, so I’ll leave it here for now, but I’m sure I’ll be properly incensed enough this week to keep up the rambling!

1 Comments:

Blogger J. Carryll Thomas said...

Dear Daughter of Shylock,

Hire a personal assistant to take care of your mother, to yell at your slacker-ass sister, to summarize your law school reading, and to book you some cheap flights. This will leave you plenty of time to chat up cute guys, to update your blog frequently, and to offer witty political commentary. Use your knowledge of law to create a loophole that lets you embezzle from your highly priced university to pay for said assistant. Problems solved!

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home