Thursday, November 10, 2005

A Lapse of Conviction

Guess what I just remembered? I don’t celebrate Christmas. I mean, I personally don’t follow the belief behind the holiday, but since my family does, I participate in the purely secular side of it. Y’know the fun consumer oriented side! Right now I can hear at least two people calling me a hypocrite since I will be buying a Christmas tree and subjecting my roommates to my taste in holiday decorating. [Although, they will benefit from my penchant for holiday baking, that should make up for it] I don’t have a plausible explanation for it except that the commercialization of the holiday has allowed people of all beliefs to participate in the splendor of Christmas. It is completely possible to ignore the religious meaning behind the holiday. I’m not even going to pretend it’s a celebration of the winter solstice as other non-believers do. You can’t have Santa figurines everywhere if you’re celebrating the beginning of winter!

Right wing Christian groups, please direct all hate mail to: Heretic c/o Turpis Causa, PO Box 666, Depths of Hell, Texas 40670.

1 Comments:

Blogger J. Carryll Thomas said...

I'm posting again because I can. I totally agree with you on this one, and not even because I work for a secular humanist (read: atheist) entity.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home