Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Reason #7854 why I need to quit my weekend job

Incompetent managers who think it's OK to show up to work 2 hours late without telling anyone because they had to go to church. For those of you in the know, on Sundays we don't open until noon. My first problem with a manager showing up at 1 p.m. on a Sunday? They're supposed to get there at 11 AM to get payroll done and open the store. My second problem? There are only 3 people scheduled to work on Sundays anyways, and really we need at least 4. For some reason, Sundays are busy days in the retail world. Third problem? It's incredibly inconsiderate to put two associates who you supervise in the position of being overworked and overwhelmed, and then not paid on time because you came in too late to get payroll done.

I completely respect people for having faith and I understand that some commitments come before work, but you can't tell me there isn't an early service or that you can't make Sunday one of your regular days off if you want to go to church. A retail job isn't that inflexible, I have set days off, I'm sure managers can too.

Needless to say I had an absolutely miserable Sunday since I spent an hour doing the work of 3 people, then spent the next 5 hours at work doing the work of 2 people since it was incredibly busy. Of course, to add insult to injury, my manager had the gall to ask me if I could stay late to help her clean up. At this point I lost it and went off on a rant about people coming in late and putting associates and our customers in a difficult situation. Then I got a lecture about what it means to go to church and that work isn't everything. Of course, this completely escalated the situation, since I am the last person who needs a lecture about work being the least important thing. I work 2 days a week at this job, but I have a better work ethic than someone who gets paid twice what I do to shuffle paper. Give me a break. At this point I threatened to quit if this was going to keep up, I don't need to pull the weight of 2 people during the weekends, it would be nice to have my weekends off. So I've got next weekend off [planned] we'll see how this works out in two weeks. Cross your fingers! Maybe I really will quit!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home